Monday, November 9, 2009

Jeju Fortnightly


I write one pretty insignificant, pretty short article twice a week for Jeju Weekly, the English newspaper here on the island, that despite its misleading name, publishes just fortnightly. 'Newspaper' is possibly another misnomer, as the glossy, all-colored print, rectangular paper appears more like a magazine full of uncritical content that merely praises the positives aspects of life on Jeju. Please don't misread my cynicism, there is an abundance of brag-worthy content to report about on the island, as it is undoubtedly beautiful and full of exciting tourist-friendly activities. And I'm more than happy to venture off every other Saturday, to a new part of the island with a Korean translator to meet and greet quasi-famous Jeju locals like traditional pottery-makers, artists, organic farmers, singers, orchestra members and so forth. But a real 'newspaper' would investigate and run stories that showed the grits and guts of the island juxtaposed with its flowery tourist exterior. So magazine it is then, I write one pretty insignificant, pretty short article twice a week for the English magazine, misnamed Jeju Weekly.

A couple weeks ago, Jeju Weekly offered me something a little less insignificant: the chance to write a cover story. And I got greedy and accepted. I enjoy writing for the paper because it adds nearly no extra stress to my life and presents opportunities for me to learn new things. But with fame and glory comes responsibility and hardship, right? I had scheduling and rescheduling problems with this story, emailing problems, incompatible software issues, and semi-frequent guilt trips via email from my contact at the paper.

The Tuesday before the deadline, I decided to outsource all the Jeju locals that could possible help me organize an interview with a tangerine farmer before my Saturday morning deadline. Help came via Rae Won, an adorable, petite, mother of two, who used to attend my adult English class that I taught out in Seongsan (farm country) last year. When she replied to my desperate-text pleading for help, she said, "Thank-you, Arielle, for remembering me to ask me to help you! I have a friend organic tangerine farmer!" After reading her text message, all the week's irritation immediately dripped away. Whatever annoyances I may have felt early faded with the prospect of spending a morning with Rae Won and her organic-tangerine farming friend!

So in my cover-story debut, this fortnightly edition of Jeju Weekly, should run my pretty insignificant, pretty short cover story on Jeju's tangerines, thanks to a woman who thanked me for asking a favor of her!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're so cute. I know that's not exactly what you want to hear in response to your writing, but it's true! Beautiful words as usual, as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... i love it! And wonderfully written! I hope your cover story went well. I didn't even know they grew tangerines on Jeju-do. haha. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete